Saturday, November 07, 2009

Finally Resigned....

Geez... the last 4-5 months have been hellish. I have spent numerous days, nights, afternoon contemplating the day I would resign from this company. And finally it has come.

Everything started to go wrong around the time Amit left the Team. And then Mahua left the Team too. And suddenly I felt all lost, and my eyes kinda opened. What the hell was I doing here? I was happy writing queries, and solving stupid issues, which never seem to end. And to work on a system that seemed to be getting complex by the day. And then I could never understand why I liked my work in the first place.

Geez.. I was a chartered accountant (I think), and here I was writing complex PL/SQL queries and procedures and what not. And fighting managers cos I wanted to improve the system and they didnt give a damn to usability. Why? Why was I so bothered? How the hell does it matter to me? Well it somehow did. I spent almost 3 months aimlessly trying to find out everything on wikipedia. From Hitler to Nostradamus to Let there Be light and to every possible phrase that was coming into my mind. Everything was being googled and wikipeded. And I spent the best part of my day doing that.

Then I ran away from office at 4, and spent the best part of the evening searching for Jobs at every location possible. I was interested in Tanzania too. Seemed like a wonderful place to me. But somehow nobody wanted me. I put myself on discount too. Take me up, and I might reduce 10% off my current CTC. Everyday on my way to office, I would mentally write my Resignation Mail to the team. On somedays it would be a polite goodbye, on others it would be a scorcher. And when I wasnt daydreaming or googling, I was busy fighting bosses. I had tons of fights. I just could'nt understand why they wouldnt release me from this project when I wasnt doing anything. But then thats TCS for you.

Meanwhile there was a side flank fight for my confirmation letter and salary increment. That didnt matter much though. But I kept fighting.

Finally last week on wednesday, after returning from office at 4.30, and taking another saridon for my splitting headache, I found what I was looking for. No this job would not send me to egypt. Nor will it send me to Bangalore or Hyderabad. Nor will it pay me more than I earn currently. But it just seemed nice enough to leave this company. It seemed like a job I wanted, and I could do well at. A Financial Analyst with Ernst & Young. Nice profile, nice company, same location, and lots of work. Yes sir, give me work, and lots of work, that just seems to keep me occupied and happy. Yes I am one of those stupidly hardworking employees that never seem to tire of work.

So, when I finally told Manoj to initiate my seperation process on friday, I just couldnt hide my smile. Its been really tiring, and I just hope that this next place turns out to be better than here.

I guess I have literally fighting all my way through TCS, right from the start. And yeah that has given me tremendous confidence. I can take on anybody. Yeah!!! :)

Well..now I have a month to write a nice goodbye speech as I serve my notice period. And then its astalavista baby!!

No comments: